The AirPods have quickly amalgamated themselves into modern culture, with the wireless audio niche slowly picking up traction and now reaching its peak. While other brands have tried to copy or emulate what Apple has done, only a select few have seemingly achieved the effortlessness that comes when pairing or connecting to AirPods using an iOS device. It truly is the definition of an ecosystem that keeps you reeled in.
However, with the usage of wireless AirPods come their own set of disadvantages. What if you’ve forgotten your case at home and only have your AirPods? What if you’ve lost your actual case and need a quick charge for an important meeting. In these cases, is it possible for you to charge your AirPods in someone else’s case?
Can I Charge My AirPods in Someone Else’s Case?
The short answer is yes! You can do so with relative ease. The process, too, is quite simple. However, you will need to temporarily remove the original AirPods present in the case before you start charging them. Here’s what you need to do:
- Remove the AirPods that were presently present from the case
- Put the AirPods that you wish to charge in the case
- Close the lid and re-open it. You should now see the status symbol turning white on the case.
- If not, plug the case into an outlet and let it charge for a few minutes.
- After the indicator does flash white, open the lit and unlock your phone, heading towards the home screen.
- You should now be met with a pairing screen similar to the one you got when initially pairing your AirPods.
- Tap on the Connect option.
After your AirPods have been successfully connected, they will automatically charge.
However, do note that you’ll end up unpairing the original AirPods connected to the case by doing this. To connect them back with their original case, you’ll need to follow the same method.
Suppose you are using an original Apple AirPods case. In that case, their functionality will remain the same, there will be no issues charging, and you’ll be able to get the same experience regardless of whether your AirPods originally came with this case.
Can My AirPods Pro Case Charge My Regular AirPods?
Unfortunately, no. While you may clip them in by brute force, this is not recommended as they are an entirely different product. The AirPods Pro have a significantly different design from their predecessor, and therefore cannot their cases cannot be used interchangeably.
Can My AirPods 1 Case Charge My AirPods 2?
While it isn’t recommended, you can use the AirPods 1 Case to charge your AirPods 2 with no issues whatsoever. It isn’t recommended because you’ll be losing out on the wireless charging capabilities that the newer case has, which is the primary reason why most opt for the AirPods 2 in the first place.
However, you can charge them and use them for an extended period of time without any trouble. You can also set your Airpods 1 in an Airpods 2 case as they have the same fundamental design.
Can My AirPods 3 Case Be Used To Charge My AirPods 1 and AirPods 2?
The newly released AirPods 3 shares a lot of resemblance with the AirPods Pro. As such, its case cannot be used to charge your AirPods 2 or AirPods 1, for that matter, as they do not share the same shape and have a different design fundamentally.
You won’t be able to fit your older AirPods in the case. Even if you end up doing so, there is a difference in the overall voltage delivered across the generation, which can lead to your battery being damaged over time.
I Have Lost My AirPods Case. What Do I Do?
Don’t worry! If you’ve lost your AirPods case, there are tons of after-market options available alongside an official solution by Apple. If you are in a pinch, you’ll need to resort to using a friend’s case for the time being. However, if you are in the mood for a more permanent solution, two options come to mind:
Official Charging Case:
Apple realizes that there’s a high chance that people might end up damaging or losing their case over the long run. As such, you can purchase a Wireless Charging Case for AirPods that works exactly like the original. It can be used interchangeably with the AirPods 1 and AirPods 2 and comes in official packaging.
You’ll also be able to claim a warranty on it if something goes wrong, and they work just fine. However, if yours doesn’t work out of the box, here’s what you need to do:
- Leave the AirPods Case (without the AirPods) on charge for at least 12 hours.
- After doing so, open the case, place your AirPods inside, and press the pair button behind the case.
- You should now see a white status icon on the front of the case, which indicates that your case and AirPods are now ready to be paired.
While this issue is uncommon, it can happen even when purchasing the product officially from Apple.
Third-Party Charging Cases:
Third-Party charging cases are somewhat of a mixed bag. Like most unofficial products, the quality you’ll be getting will almost always be sub-par to the original product. However, some innovation has made the wireless cases more appealing.
AirPods 1 and AirPods 2:
For those traditional rocking AirPods, NeotrixQi’s Wireless Charging Case is the closest to the real deal. It comes in with a slightly larger battery than the original and is compatible with any standard Qi wireless charger.
They have also paired the same way you would an official case and require a lighting cable just like the originals. However, they do seem a bit finicky in terms of build quality. For example, the metal used in the case isn’t all great, and they do not have the same snap as the originals.
However, if you are looking for cheap alternatives that charge surprisingly better than the originals, these are an excellent pick-up! However, do note that these will come in ultimately out of charge, and you’ll need to plug them in before you can use them properly.
For the AirPods Pro, HIA’s case is the closest to the original. The built-in battery is larger than the original and charges your AirPods 3-4 times before they are depleted. While they are relatively expensive, they offer the same functionality as you would get with the original AirPods.
In terms of build quality, they are identical. However, you will notice that the snapping function is not as great as the original AirPods Pro charging case. The case magnetically snaps to your AirPods. So, you don’t need to worry about them falling off anytime soon.
Can The AirPods Be Charged Without A Case?
Apple does officially not let you charge your AirPods without a case. You’ll need to use a case no matter what since the AirPods have thin metal contacts that allow for a charge to pass through, which can only be done within a case.
Even if you do end up finding an after-market product, it won’t let you use your AirPods to the fullest as the case contains Apple’s proprietary chip that allows you to pair to them so seamlessly.
How to Know If My AirPods Case is Charging?
Whether you’ve just replaced your case or are not sure of how your originals work, Apple thankfully has included a few different ways for you to find out if your AirPods Case is charging or not.
The simplest method is to plug the case in and see whether an indicator light flashes. If you see a red indication light, that means that your AirPods case requires more charge. If you see a green light, you can plug the cable out as your AirPods case has been fully charged.
For a more detailed look at your AirPods case’s battery status, plug them in and then hold the lid open close to your phone. If your phone has already been paired to the case, a small pop-up will appear on your home screen that provides you with the exact battery percentage of your AirPods case alongside your AirPods as well.
Can I Leave My AirPods Case Charging Overnight?
Yes, you can! In fact, this is the best way for you to elongate the lifespan of your AirPods case’s battery. When you plug in your case overnight, your phone adapts to your pattern, and instead of the case charging quickly, it trickles charges overnight, leading to a lesser amount of current flowing through your case.
While this leads to slower charging times, your case’s battery lifespan increases drastically. In the end, you’ll end up having a case that is charged to 100% when you wake up!
To turn this feature on, here’s what you need to do:
- Connect your AirPods to your phone by placing one in your ear
- Head on to your iPhone’s Bluetooth settings
- Once there, scroll down to your paired devices and tap on the ‘i’ icon present.
- Scroll down till you find the Optimized Battery Charging option and turn it on.
Doing this will ensure that your battery remains healthy for a longer period of time. Generally, you’ll start experiencing slight battery degradation after about 300-500 charge cycles.
When Should I Replace My AirPods Case?
There are a few telltale signs that your AirPods case will exhibit, which might indicate that a replacement might be in order. If you are experiencing any of these, your case might soon give out.
- Poor Charging: If your case cannot charge your AirPods to 100% or takes a lot of time to do so, the chances are that the contacts have worn out. Before you make any judgments, make sure to clean your case contacts with a soft Q-tip. Do the same with your AirPods too.
- Poor Charge Retention: If your case dries out only after a charge or two, the chances are that the battery inside your case has been permanently deleted. To check, plug the case in an original charger and use an original cable. If it charges too quickly or slowly or is not able to provide your AirPods with an adequate amount of charge, the case’s battery has worn out.
- Unable to Pair with AirPods: If your AirPods case seemingly does not seem to detect your AirPods or is flimsy when you open them up, the chances are that it has gone through some physical damage that has led the chip inside to malfunction. Make sure to check whether your AirPods are not the culprit by connecting them to another case.
How To Update My AirPods Case / AirPods
If you are facing some trouble with your AirPods and are unable to connect to your case properly, the chances are that they might require a software update. While there isn’t an explicit way for you to update them like you would update your laptop or phone, for that matter, there’s a method you can use to force an update for your AirPods:
- Open the Settings on your iPhone
- Head on to the Bluetooth Options
- Find your AirPods and click on the ‘i’ right next.
- Now, note the Firmware Version of your AirPods
- After doing so, leave them dormant while plugged into power with your phone right next to them.
- After 15 minutes, check on them again and see if the firmware version has changed.
If the firmware version has changed, congrats! You’ve successfully updated your AirPods to the latest firmware. If not, you’ll need to repeat the same steps.
Remember that the firmware of your AirPods is contingent on you running the latest software version of your iPhone / iPad / Mac. So, if those are outdated, your AirPods won’t be updating themselves either.
How to Change AirPods Name After Connecting To New Case:
You’ve just gotten a new case. Fantastic! The AirPods allow a great deal of customization, and perhaps the most useful of all is the ability to set up a customized name for them. This is particularly useful if you have more than one pair and want to know which one is which.
Here’s how you can change the name of your AirPods after you’ve connected them for the first time to a new case:
- Connect your AirPods to your phone
- On your iPhone, head on to Settings -> Bluetooth
- Once there, tap on the ‘i’ icon
- Now, please tap on the current name and change it to whatever you like
Losing your AirPods case or damaging it is not the end of the world! Thankfully, you can still either use an official or a third-party replacement to bring your AirPods back to life. However, in most cases, we always recommend going for an official case if you can get one. When you look at AirPods, you think – there’s not much to know. It’s a straightforward device. We felt that too. After 10+ blog articles about common issues about AirPods/AirPods Pro, we have changed our minds. There’s a lot of things to know, you don’t need to know them, but there are a lot of details people aren’t aware of until these things happen to them.