Music and Workout are a match made in heaven. Your songs get a new meaning when you are pushing yourselves hard and gasping for breath. Likewise, your workout is never the same once the music gets you in the zone to move faster and lift stronger. Just like a personal trainer, your playlist is personal too. You can’t expect it to be played in the gym set up or blasted on phone speakers while you run outdoors. You need to rely on a solid pair of earbuds that will play pitch-perfect audio as your physical limits get tested.
While there are earbuds that claim to be suitable for workouts and range from a humble $9 to an exorbitant $250, there is more to this than meets the eye. We have cherry-picked top 10 workout earbuds in the mid-high price range that are the absolute bang for your buck. Jump the fitness bandwagon and hustle in style with these workout earbuds that will keep your ears fine and let your sweat shine!
A quick pitstop – Is it worth buying workout earbuds?
Music has many advantages in different walks of life. Working out is no different. Here is why workout earbuds make a lot of sense for budding and pro fitness enthusiasts:
- Workout earbuds can help you to keep the pace without slacking off with their high bass and rhythmic beats
- Music from buds can elevate your mood and motivate you to perform better
- Listening to music while performing strenuous physical activities distracts you from the negative conditions like sweat, exertion, tiring breath, physical discomfort or pain
- Workout relieves boredom and makes you want to move if it has groovy beats and thumping sound
- Workout earbuds have extra attention paid to their build and features, that are workout friendly – like a sweatproof, waterproof, secure fit, enhanced bass, ambient sound, winged tips, durable case, etc.
10 BEST-OF-BEST WORKOUT EARBUDS
1. Beats Powerbeats Pro Wireless Earphones
Why we picked it – Top rated wireless workout earbud with great Bluetooth range
Give your workout a totally different feel with Powerbeats Pro, that are backed by Class 1 Bluetooth via Apple H1 headphone chip, providing improved connection speed, extended range, and fewer dropouts. The buds feature cool elements like auto play/pause, independent earbud connection, easy pairing with iOS, and secure-fit ear hooks, making your tough and on-the-move workouts fun and fuss-free.
With these earphones, you can wirelessly share audio such as songs, podcasts, or movies to another set of Beats headphones or AirPods with the Audio Sharing feature. That’s not all! They also come with dual beam-forming microphones for clear speech detection and allow for hands-free voice assistant controls.
- Bluetooth, NFC connectivity
- Up to 9 hours of listening time (more than 24 hours with the charging case, a quick charge of 5 minutes gives 1.5 hours of playback)
- Adjustable, secure-fit ear hooks
- Volume & track controls on each earbud,
- Features the Apple H1 headphone chip and Class 1 Bluetooth for extended range and fewer dropouts
- Compatible with iOS and Android
- IPX4 Sweat and water-resistant
- Multiple ear tip options
- Lightweight, stable and adjustable design
- Ergonomic comfortable wear for intense workouts
- Good sound and call quality
- Physical volume controls on both the earbuds
- Available in a spectrum of varied colors
- Large carrying case
- Limited noise cancellation
- IPX rating is lower as compared to others in the category
2. Bose SoundSport Wireless Earbuds
Why we picked it – Feature-rich with ultimate comfort to fitness-music lovers
If you demand nothing but the pure performance from your workout music gear, then Bose SoundSport wireless earbuds are here to impress you. With Redesigned StayHear+ Sport tips built for your toughest workout, you will have everything you need to push to the next level.
Your ears are treated to high-quality audio experience, consistently balanced at any volume, thanks to Bose active EQ. The sweat and water-resistant wireless earbuds are engineered to push you forward and not hold you back in any way.
- Bluetooth and NFC pairing
- Volume controls, skip tracks, take calls without reaching for your device
- 6 hours of playtime on a single charge
- Compatible with the Tile app
- Sweat and Water-resistant
- Comes with a stylish carrying case
- Comfortable fit and secure winged ear tips
- Personalize settings on Bose Connect app
- Auto-off feature to preserve battery
- Great sound quality
- Easy to operate controls
- Lower battery life
- Overall bulky look
- Lack official IP rating
3. Airpods Pro
Why we picked it – Superior build quality of Apple with amazing sound for hustlers
Airpods Pro can handle most of your daily activities including your physical regime. These can withstand dripping sweat, don’t slide out of the ears, and are a popular choice among Apple users. Adaptive EQ automatically tunes the music to suit the shape of your ear for a rich, consistent listening experience.
With AirPods Pro, you can toggle seamlessly between noise cancellation and surround awareness. The buds use two microphones, an outward-facing microphone, and an inward-facing microphone, to create superior noise cancellation. Switch to Transparency mode and AirPods Pro lets the outside sound in, allowing you to hear and connect to your surroundings.
- Bluetooth 5.0 wireless connectivity
- Active noise cancellation
- Customizable fit and seal with 3 sizes of flexible silicone tips
- Sweat and water-resistant (IPX4)
- A case can be charged either wirelessly using a Qi-certified charger or with the Lightning connector
- Custom-built high-excursion, low-distortion driver delivers powerful bass
- Amazing sound quality with low audio latency
- Lightweight and comfortable to wear
- Transparency mode
- Easy pairing with iPhone and Apple Watch
- Free engraving of emoji, text, or numbers for a personalized touch
- Doesn’t support certain functionalities on Android devices (like Audio Sharing, Fit test, Siri, etc.)
- Pricey than its competitors
4. Upgraded Mpow X3 Hybrid Silicone Earbuds
Why we picked it – Stereo surround sound with great battery life to last many workout sessions
Part of Mpow’s high-end TWS headphone series, Mpow X3 has an uncanny resemblance to Airpods but comes at a quarter of its price and performance that is bound to surprise even the most loyal Apple fans. The buds adopt a 10mm fiber optic driver, ultra-thin elastic diaphragm, and unique stereo design, that supports SBC/AAC high-quality audio decoding. These wireless buds can provide you with crystal clear immersive sound with rich bass.
With IPX8 Nano coating, Mpow X3 waterproof earbuds is an ideal choice for strenuous and sweaty exercises. With just a finger touch, you can control music/volume/ calls/ANC/voice assistant. Unless they are removed, the wireless earbuds will not fall even while running.
- Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless connectivity
- 360 stereo surround sound
- Mono mode and Transparency mode
- IPX8 Waterproof
- Battery status display
- Smart Touch control
- 4 microphones Noise Cancellation
- Total Playtime – 40 hours with the case, 10 hours on a single charge
- Soft, comfortable and ergonomic fit
- High IP rating
- Decent battery life
- Value for money
- 4 mics allow for crystal clear voice talk
- No sound customization
- No wireless charging
- Cheap-looking case
5. Jabra Elite Active 65t
Why we picked it – Companion app features that fitness enthusiasts will appreciate
If you want a TWS earbud to not fiddle when running or last your sweatiest workout session, then Jabra Elite Active 65t is worth your attention. The Jabra Sound+ smartphone app is a treat that has some cool fitness features. It has an accelerometer, which allows for fitness and performance monitoring. It also has a ‘HearThrough’ mode that allows in a bit of outside sound using the built-in microphones. Plus the regular in-app audio customization is a given!
These Jabra buds offer a secure fit with quite good passive noise isolation owing to the in-ear seal. Your workouts now become stress-free with no pesky wires getting in the way and decent battery life that lasts you through the day.
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity
- Apple and Android compatible
- 5 hours battery on a single charge and 15 hours in total with charging case
- Quick charge – 1.5 hours of battery with quick 15 minutes of charging
- 4-microphone technology
- Supports activate voice assistant – Siri, Alexa & Google Assistant
- IP56 rated – 2-year warranty against sweat and dust
- Works in solo mode
- Aesthetic design that is highly comfortable
- No audio drop-outs
- Great voice clarity with powerful microphones
- Pocket-friendly charging case
- Little bulky for long hearing sessions
- No ANC
- A charging case is a task to open
6. Jaybird Vista Bluetooth Sport Earbuds
Why we picked it – Earth proof design that can withstand any workout & weather
In the workout TWS category, JayBird Vista steers ahead of its competitors owing to its battery life, durability and sports fit. These are rightly called earth-proof earbuds as they are resistant to vibration, drop & crush, humidity, dust, shock, water, and any other weather conditions that exist out there.
The lightweight earbuds are compatible with Jaybird App that lets you pump up the bass or crank the treble as per your wish. ‘Find my buds’ feature on the app lets you locate earbuds in case they go missing and the compact carrying case makes it easy to stash them.
- Bluetooth 5.0 wireless connection
- 6 mm drivers
- 5 color variants – Black, Nimbus Gray, and Planetary Green
- IPX7 Sweat and Waterproof
- Up to 6 hours of playtime on a single charge, plus 10 more with a charging case
- Three sizes of interchangeable ear gels
- Exceptionally rugged with premium looks
- Great phone quality with decent mic
- Quick charging of 5 minutes offers an hour of playtime
- 32 hours of battery life on solo earbud mode
- Lightweight, compact design offers secure ultra-comfortable fit that feels weightless while you stay active
- Quite expensive for an average buyer
- Streaming latency might be an issue on some occasions
7. Anker Soundcore Life Dot 2 True Wireless Earbuds
Why we picked it – Unmatched playtime and Airwing Design
“Never stop listening” – goes the tag line for Anker Life Dot 2 TWS earbuds. This is translated literally with a charging case that has 4× the battery capacity of other cases, giving a total of extreme 100-hour playtime. This is great news for fitness enthusiasts who don’t like stressing over the battery status of earbuds.
Anker earphones deliver 40% more bass and 100% more treble for rich, expertly balanced sound. Their hollow AirWings have a flexible, soft silicone build that conforms to the shape and size of your ears for a secure fit with incomparable comfort. The buds feature proprietary Push and Go technology that allows them to automatically connect to the last paired device when removed from the charging case.
- Wireless connectivity with Bluetooth 5.0
- 8mm triple-layer dynamic drivers
- 8 hour playtime that can be extended over and over
- Quick charge – 10 minutes of charging will provide 90 minutes of listening
- Zero pressure air wings
- Effortless switch between using both earbuds or a single side
- IPX5 protection against water
- Unbeatable battery life
- Balanced sound profile
- Wing design offers a snug fit even while jumping/running
- Highly affordable
- Earbuds and the charging case are little bulky
- Some latency might be experienced like any other mid-tier TWS
- No companion app for personalization
8. Master & Dynamic MW07 GO True Wireless Earphones
Why we picked it – Great sound with great fit
Master & Dynamic’s most lightweight and durable earphones yet, MW07 GO True Wireless Earphones are designed for those who are always on the move. Built to withstand the toughest workouts and travel in any weather, these sporty earbuds offer a comfortable fit during any activity.
Crafted with ultra-durable TR90 composite, (material used in professional sports eyewear) these Bluetooth earphones feature an IPX6 water resistance rating, making them ideal for biking, running, and other physical activities. Ones in, they stay in!
- Bluetooth Wireless Earbuds with quick pairing technology
- Custom 10mm Beryllium drivers
- IPX6 rating
- silicone Fit Wings in 3 sizes and ear tips in 5 sizes,
- 10 hours of battery life with an additional 12 hours of battery life for 22 hours of total listening time.
- Very stylish with sporty appeal
- Long battery life
- Build to last
- Comfortable fit owing to patented silicone Fit Wings
- Expansive sound
- No app or audio EQ customization
- On the expensive side
9. Amazfit PowerBuds True Wireless Earbuds
Why we picked it – Professional Sports Sound System
The Amazfit PowerBuds TWS is equipped with a PPG heart rate sensor to precisely monitor your heart rate during sports and give you real-time notifications when exercise data like heart rate, pace, time, etc. exceeds the pre-set warning value, making your workout safer and effective.
Not ignoring the audio quality, the Sports Sound System of Amazfit delivers stunning high definition sound to make your exercising more immersive and dynamic. It is loaded with cool mode settings like the Motion Beat Mode for enhanced bass and Thru mode for allowing the ambient noise to make you more aware of your surroundings.
- Wireless Bluetooth connectivity
- Magnetic Sport Hear Hooks – Easy to remove and store
- Quick pairing
- ENC Dual Microphone noise reduction
- Automatic Play/Pause with Touch controls
- Dynamic 3D pattern
- 8 hours battery life on a single charge and 24 hours with the charging case
- 15 minutes quick charge for 3 hours of battery life
- IP55 water and dust resistance
- Heart rate monitoring during exercise
- Inclined ear design for comfort and stability
- Exclusive sports sound system suitable for active lifestyle
- Decent battery life
- Noise reduction for HD calls
- Touch controls are bit finicky
- No volume controls on the earbuds
10. Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro
Why we picked it – Water resistant workouts become reality with these buds
Elevate your everyday workout with crystal clear audio and unprecedented controls, with Samsung’s very popular – Galaxy Buds Pro. These come with Intelligent Active Noise Cancellation that lets you escape in your workout zone with a single tap. Instantly switch and answer calls to let in the sounds that matter the most with 4 ambient levels.
For fitness freaks who don’t get deterred by light rains, these buds are god send. Water wont ruin your workout as they can withstand immersion up to 3 feet deep for 30 minutes. Not to forget the incredible mirror finish that is great to look at!
- Wireless connectivity
- 11-mm woofer and 6.5-mm tweeter built into every earbud
- IPX7 water resistance rating
- Tap based touch music control
- Available in 3 color variants – Phantom Black, Phantom White and Phantom Violet
- Android and iOS compatible
- Voice detect feature that automatically kicks in ambient sound mode
- Decent noise cancellation
- Crystal clear call quality
- Immersive sound with 2 way speakers
- Quite expensive
- Surround sound works best only with Samsung phones
- Touch controls are too sensitive
Earbuds for Workout – Buying Guide and FAQs
What to look for in Workout Earbuds?
Your workout earbuds can be your everyday music earbuds, but the vice versa is not true. They need to have certain non-negotiable features that are required to withstand wear and tear that comes with a good sweaty workout. The top parameters to look after:
- Fit – Your buds should support physical activity and not hinder it. Check for reviews that praise the comfort, snug fit, and ability to pass the head shake test. Last thing you want are buds that keep falling off or hurt your ears owing to their weight.
- Sweat & Water Resistance – Specifically check for IP rating that confirms whether your earbud investment pays off from fitness perspective or not. Whether you sweat it out in a gym or pursue outdoor activities to keep fit, your workout earbuds should overcome challenges posed by sweat, light rain, splashes and as a bonus – dust too.
- Durability – Avoid anything that looks too fancy to maintain like luxurious leather or memory foam ear tips. They deteriorate with grime and dirt. Instead, go for high-quality plastic that is built to last with size options in earbud tips.
- Sound Quality – Sound might not be among the top priorities for fitness enthusiasts. But good sound quality equals a good fitness coach. It motivates you to pump iron without getting tired and keeps you going. Look for buds that allow you to switch between noise cancellation and ambient modes.
Is wireless earbud the only option for workouts?
Nobody likes fussy wires in midst of a heavy duty workout. So obviously wireless is the preferred mode when it comes to workout earbuds. However, do not rule out the advantages and comfort of a neckband design or open-ear bone conduction headphones if they seem to appeal you more and display monikers like “Sports” “Fitness” “Active” or “Workout”.
It would be wise to steer clear of wired versions and over-ear headphones owing to the design obstacles accompanying them.
Is battery life important when buying workout earbuds?
While gym workouts give you the luxury of charging, it’s not the same story as outdoor sports. Average battery life of 7-8 hours will keep you good for the entire week with recharging only on the weekends. Also, look for the quick charge feature if you are forgetful types and always short of time with your fitness regime.
One of the simplest and quickest way to amplify your workout performance is music. Thankfully, earbud makers have taken this scientific fact seriously and have come out with some amazing options to choose from when it comes to zeroing down on perfect pair of workout earbuds.
We hope our list of top-rated products and buying guide will help you to choose workout earbuds that pump up the beats to achieve your fitness goals – FASTER AND STRONGER.
Which earbud do you prefer while running, cycling or gymming?
Which earbuds have you shortlisted to motivate you during a workout?
Please share your comments below.