Humans have come a long way in the journey of waterproofing objects. From wax, tar, and oil to gaskets, plugs, and chemical sealants, waterproofing has undergone considerable innovation. This change works in our favor – the modern folks, who like to do multiple things at the same time. Like listening to music while swimming or performing water activities.
Thankfully, waterproof MP3 players are a thing now and how! They come in various shapes & sizes to appeal to different sets of customers and do their basic job of “Keeping water at bay” quite well.
How MP3 players and headphones become waterproof?
The classic headphones and MP3 players have their components and electric circuits waterproofed through the hydrophobic coating. This coating is either a thin film of chemical or military-grade nano-coating, that uses vacuum and plasma activation technology for that non-scrapable protective layer.
Water-resistant parts usually have an IPX rating below IPX7. IPX7 to IPX9k makes devices waterproof, allowing complete immersion in water for a certain duration completely safe.
Is it a wise choice to opt for waterproof MP3 Players?
If you like things to be upbeat and prefer to carry your music wherever you go including pool, beach, shower, and wherever water is involved, then a waterproof MP3 player is definitely a go-to device.
With absolute blocking of water, these music players offer 3Fs:
- Flexibility – There are various types to choose from depending on your comfort. Headband, earbuds, bone conduction, etc. whatever suits your preference
- Freedom – You don’t have to worry anymore about boring swim laps, long tangling wires or placing your phone riskily near the pool to enjoy some music during water sports
- Fun – You are not separated from your favorite music and still get to do all the water workouts. It’s fun maximized by fusing your interests.
For people who love water, oxygen might be overrated. But music is not. Make your time in water longer and gratifying with entertaining tunes loaded to your ears. Dive into our carefully curated list of the best waterproof MP3 players that are totally worth your buck.
Top 10 PICKS of Waterproof MP3 Players
1. SYRYN 8 GB Waterproof Music Player and Swimbuds Flip Headphones
Why we picked it – Compact Form factor and overall quality performance
Swimming with music is a great way to shake off routine sluggishness. And if it comes at an exceptional cost and optimal sound quality – like the SYRYN waterproof MP3 player, then water sports become a favored stress reliever.
The device is lightweight and doesn’t budge from your swim cap. The phenomenal earbuds keep all the water out of your ears and render crystal clear sound up to 10 feet deep. “Swim with Music” is a reality with this MP3 player.
- Wired connectivity
- IPX8 Rating
- 360 Swivel clip
- 8 GB storage that can host about 2000 songs
- 10 Hours battery
- Mac and PC are compatible. Supports all popular formats, including MP3, AAC, WAV, and WMA
- 1-year warranty against manufacturer defects
- Great craftsmanship and sound quality
- Snag-free short cord
- Secure custom fit
- Clear and concise instruction booklet
- Easy drag and drop of MP3 files
- Buttons on the device have shared functionality. This might not be intuitive for some users
- AAC support for old music files (before 2009) downloaded from iTunes is missing
2. FINIS Duo Underwater Bone Conduction MP3 Player
Why we picked it – Bone Conduction Audio Transmission
If you don’t dig earbuds, then Finis Duo underwater bone conduction MP3 player will fit the bill perfectly. This player has an integrated clip design the secures the device to goggle straps to rest on the cheekbones for a comfortable and streamlined fit.
It is compatible with iTunes for you to listen to music, audiobooks, podcasts, and more. The design provides swimmers with the joy of swimming to music without entering the ear canal.
- Wired Technology
- Bone conduction audio transmission
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery with up to 7 hours of battery life
- Stores approximately 1000 songs or 60 hours of playback
- Waterproof IPX8 rating to perform at a depth of 10 feet for 30 minutes
- Supports MP3 and WMA audio files
- Clear sound in the water without the use of ear-buds
- Sounds louder in water
- Durable product
- The player stays put and doesn’t fall off from head
- Buttons are relatively large, easy to handle, and intuitive
- Connectors are not corrosion resistant and might pose some issues in charging
- Quality control is an issue in some of the pieces as suggested in online reviews
3. Pyle Bluetooth Waterproof MP3 Player
Why we picked it – Flexibility to bend and adjust on different head shapes and sizes
Pyle’s waterproof and durable MP3 player and headphones are designed for long period use in water. They are ideal for sports like swimming, running, fitness, exercise, workout, and the likes with wireless Bluetooth connectivity.
Pyle’s flextime design makes it a universally sized bendable and adjustable MP3 player for all head shapes. Whats’ more! These 2 in 1 Mp3 with headphones have water blocking earbuds, so there is no risk of water getting between the music and your inner ear. You can listen and scan to your favorite music underwater, notwithstanding the activity type.
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity
- Built-in with up to 10 hours of battery life on one single charge
- Waterproof IPX8 rating
- 8 GB integrated flash memory
- Supports MP3, APE, FLAC & WMA audio files
- Multi-format playback with MP3 and WMA compatibility.
- Includes 2 pair of water blocking earbuds in water use and 3 pair of active sport earbuds on land use
- Built-in Bluetooth for wireless audio streaming
- Works with All of Your favorite Devices – iPhone, Android Smartphones, iPad Tablets, etc
- Easy drag and drop files from iTunes for Mac or Windows
- Marine-grade waterproof rating at an affordable price tag
- Strong construction makes it a durable choice
- Some leaks issues are reported in online reviews, so make sure you are fully sealed in before you dive in
- Converting iTunes music to MP3 format is time-consuming
4. SONY Waterproof and Dustproof Walkman NW-WS623
Why we picked it – Dustproof and salt-water proof option
Whether it is salt water or fresh water, Sony’s Walkman is built to endure the toughest elements, whatever be your sport. And with Easy Bluetooth® connectivity with NFC™ one-touch pairing, it’s as streamlined as your training.
The Walkman is saltwater-proof to a depth of 2 meters and can be submerged for up to 30 minutes, making it perfect for swimming and water sports. It is ideal for beaches as it can withstand small dust particles and it can even be your perfect companion in extreme temperatures from -5 to 45 degrees Celsius.
- Bluetooth Wireless connectivity
- 4 GB and 16 GB storage variants
- Ambient sound mode available
- 12-hour battery life, 3-minute power-up gives full 60 minutes of listening time
- Bluetooth remote control
- Drag and drop sound loading
- Supports MP3, WMA, AAC, and L-PCM formats
- Durable and tough design
- Waterproof and Dustproof
- Slim and light with ergonomic comfy design
- Quick charging option
- Great battery life
- Proactive warning about the battery levels is missing
- Little quiet for swimming
- It expensive than other players on the list
5. H20 Audio Stream 2 Bluetooth MP3 Player
Why we picked it – Superior sound and deep bass in the waterproof category
The STREAM 2 boasts of the highest internal sound components to produce the best possible sound underwater with premium bass. It can easily pair with your smartphone over a wireless Bluetooth connection. You can pair your smartphone (iPhone, Samsung, Android, etc.) with the STREAM 2 player and receive Spotify, Pandora music from your phone.
H2O Audio waterproof technology allows headphones to withstand heavy perspiration, rinsing after active use, and submersion to 12ft (3m) underwater, for an unlimited amount of time. You can enjoy all your outdoor activities like swimming, running, working out and sports without any worries
- Bluetooth connectivity with a wireless range of 30ft/10m
- 8 GB memory with the capacity to store around 2000 songs
- 10-hour battery life
- Supports Apple iTunes music (m4a) and all other MP3, WMA, FLAC, APE formats
- Highest waterproof rating of IPX8
- 360 Snap-Clip: Easily attaches to your goggles, swimsuit or board shorts
- Seal tight jack to reduce USB connection issues and long term corrosion
- Dedicated volume, track, skip and fast forward buttons
- 4 times more memory than iPod Shuffle
- Drag and drop audio files without the need of converting them to MP3
- User-friendly interface
- Bluetooth doesn’t function underwater
- They can come off so it needs to be strapped tightly or worn under the cap
6. SEWOBYE Waterproof MP3
Why we picked it – Massive battery life that is higher than its waterproof peers
Do long cords tangling around your swimming goggles irritate you? If yes, then this short cord SEWOBYE waterproof MP3 player is a perfect solution. Elegant in design, these don’t come in the way of your favorite sport and lend great sound both – under/out of water.
This swimming waterproof mp3 player has versatility beyond swimming and can be used with activities in which you might get wet like running, surfing, skiing, or kayaking. So whether you are planning to laze around in the pool, kick back at the beach, or push yourself through a grueling swim training session, It will help keep you motivated.
- USB Connectivity
- 8GB memory storage capacity
- Supports MP3, AAC-LC, APE, FLAC, ACELP, WMA, WAV file formats
- IPX8 Waterproof rating
- Black and Blue color variants
- 16 hours of playtime
- No rough edges and smooth finishing
- Huge battery life and quick charge of 1.5 hours
- Gold plated stereo jack to prevent corrosion
- Raised button design for easy functional control
- Sound is not as great as an iPod or other competitors
- Shuffle function sometimes is messed up, playing same songs repeatedly
7. Apple iPod Shuffle – Waterproofed by UNDERWATER AUDIO
Why we picked it – Sound quality and brand credibility of Apple and Underwater Audio
A great enhancement to any workout, the Waterproof iPod Shuffle is synonymous with swim music owing to its hard-to-beat features. Its sleek, lightweight, and fully waterproof form factor makes it superbly suited for swimming, surfing, and any other water-related activities.
Underwater Audio’s patented waterproofing process makes your favorite iPod Shuffle apt for use in any environment and all weather conditions. Whether it’s podcasts, audiobooks, or plain old music, everything is a treat to listen to on iPod Shuffle.
- Wired connection with USB Connectivity
- 2GB memory storage capacity
- Comes with Swimbuds headphones, iPod USB, and headphone extension
- 6-month warranty
- 15 hours playtime
- Good sound quality with nice details and balance
- Lightweight design
- Swimbuds are comfortable in-ears with soft earbud tips
- FitGoo gel for tighter in-ear seal
- Decent battery life
- Most pricey option on the list
- 2 GB Storage capacity is lower than other contemporaries
8. AGPTEK Waterproof MP3 Player
Why we picked it – Spring design cable for custom length adjustment
Impeccable sound out of the water or submerged in the water – If this is something you are looking for, then AGPTEK will not let you down. The waterproof MP3 player levels up your swimming and other water workouts with great sound range.
The MP3 player supports powerful multi-functioning like songs catalog, folder viewer, radio, music choice, and settings. It features a cool 360-degree rotatable clip design, so just attach it to your goggles or shower cap and you are set to enjoy an amazing music experience when in water.
- Wired Connectivity
- 8GB memory storage capacity supports up to 2000 songs
- Supported formats: MP3 / WMA / WAV / APE / FLAC / OGG
- IPX8 Waterproof rating
- FM Radio
- Waterproof headphones and armband
- Gold plated stereo jack
- 3 in 1 interface for headphone, charging and data transfer, easy to use
- 18 hours playtime with 2 hours charging time
- Audio extension cable for flexibility in sports
- Corrosion-proof, lightweight, and portable
- Anti-slip surface for comfortable handling
- Raised button design for quick and easy operation
- Automatic power off when not in use for more than 60 seconds
- The cheapest option on the list
- Navigation is problematic when the device is mounted on goggles/swim cap
- 30 minute underwater limit
- Not friendly with iTunes sourced files, so have to be converted to compatible formats
9. Tayogo Waterproof MP3 Player
Why we picked it – Secure fit that snugs the ear canal perfectly
Tayogo MP3 player is perfect for both indoor or outdoor training, Its compact, head-wearing design provides a secure, comfortable fit while you work out. it is equipped with a special earplug for swimming and doesn’t fall down or hurt ears when worn solidly.
The three-pointed triangle head-mounted design makes the headphone more stable on the head. This Waterproof MP3 player has good heat resistance (up to 60℃), allowing you to enjoy good music even in a hot spring bath or shower.
- Wired Connectivity
- 8GB memory storage capacity supports up to 2000 songs
- 3 color variants – Black, White and Yellow
- Supported formats: MP3 (8 to 320kbps), WMA, DRM, OGG, WAV, and AAC-LC
- IPX8 Waterproof rating
- 6-8 hours playtime with 2 hours charging
- Secure and comfortable fit
- Short headset cable that doesn’t tangle and is neat
- Light and portable
- PP material frame makes the player strong and flexible
- Very affordable
- Battery dies if not used for long (To be used at least once in 3 months)
- Little quiet when swimming
10. Diver Waterproof MP3 Player
Why we picked it – Amazing underwater battery life
Diver waterproof MP3 player is perfect for wearing while swimming or doing any other water activity. The music player comes with waterproof earphones that are short, unobtrusive, and hooks around the ears for better stability. It has an extension wire to extend the earphone wire length for non-water use.
The MP3 player can be easily attached to a headband or swimming goggles while you swim. Take your music anywhere, even underwater with this MP3 player that can stay submerged underwater for more than 24 hours without any damage.
- Plug and Play USB connectivity
- Supports .MP3 and .WMA formats
- Comes as LCD and non-LCD variants
- 4 GB of built-in memory
- Li-Ion Rechargeable battery
- Hooked waterproof earphones included
- Radio supported
- 12-month warranty
- Lightweight at only 3 ounces
- Portable and convenient
- Easy to use touch controls for convenience
- Great on price
- Supports fewer formats of audio files, and hence isn’t suited for varied uses
- Might dangle out of the ears if not a perfect fit
- Waterproof rating not called out explicitly
FAQs – Waterproof MP3 Player Buying Guide
What to keep in mind when buying a waterproof MP3 player?
The market for waterproof MP3 players is on the rise with many people taking up swimming, surfing, and other water-related activities. But with the choices, comes the confusion too. Look for the below features when zeroing down on your music buddy for water:
- Waterproof rating – While as obvious it may seem, how brands place emphasis on the waterproof rating / no. of hours immersion in water/depth of use, etc. matters the most. Stay away from products that classify as sweatproof, splashproof, water-resistant. You need hardcore waterproofing with IPX7 as a bare minimum rating. Anything above it is a winner!
- Fit and Comfort – Even with the best waterproof rating, if your MP3 player doesn’t seem to sit properly in your ears or keeps coming off, they probably will bite the dust in drawers. Go for a player that fits in the ear canal securely and wear a swim cap over it, for uninterrupted fun.
- Sound Quality – It is a popular belief among swimmers and water aficionados that music is muffled in an underwater setting. However, many MP3 player manufacturers are paying extra attention to maintain the sound quality that is crisp, loud enough with decent bass even when immersed in water.
- Storage Capacity – While the real prowess of waterproof MP3 players is not about how many songs they can hold, but anything from 4 GB and above will let you enjoy a variety of song genres. Additionally, this also means you don’t need to delete or replace songs to accommodate more of your playlists.
Apart from the above mentioned critical factors, look for an MP3 player with
- Decent battery life (at least 12-15 hours)
- Minimum 1-year warranty for any exchanges or refunds
- Format compatibility – The player should support your most-used audio file format (e.g. MP3, WMV, WAV, FLAC, etc.)
- Controls – The buttons should support ease of use to pause, shuffle, playback, and repeat songs you want including the volume controls
Can the chlorine/saltwater/pool chemicals cause corrosion of the MP3 player?
The audio jack, casing, and buttons of the MP3 player are susceptible to corrosion due to continued exposure to water chemicals. Rinsing the player and headphones with freshwater post your dip in chlorinated water or seawater is essential.
What is the best swimming accessory to go with a waterproof MP3 player and headphones?
For that comfortable underwater experience, consider investing in Fitgoo Earbud Insertion Helper to make your waterproof music time stress-free.
Fitgoo is a waterproofing gel that needs to be applied to the headphone ear tips to create a tight seal around the ears. Fitgoo fills in the gaps between headphones and your ear canal, offering the following benefits:
- Easy insertion in the ear (very important for uniquely shaped headphones and different ear shapes)
- Prevents any sound leakage
- Offers a secure fit and keeps the headphones in place
- A tight seal obstructs water from getting into the ears
Can I use waterproof earphones with different MP3 players?
Some earphones work perfectly fine with other MP3 players if the audio jack is compatible or if they are Bluetooth enabled. However, specific models are made to work only with their original MP3 player. Check the product info if you are looking for multiple compatibility headphones.
Aren’t Bluetooth waterproof headphones more convenient than a waterproof MP3 player?
While there are Bluetooth earphones and headphones, their waterproof abilities are questionable. Even if they are waterproof, you need to be near the source of music, and leaving your phone nearby the pool is not always feasible.
Plus, the connection might be lost after a couple of minutes in the water, which can be a frustrating experience. Hence waterproof MP3 players make a wise choice for water sports and activities.
Swimming and other water sports can at times get boring owing to the deep silence of water. Music pumps up your mood by breaking the monotony and lets your energy soar high with cool beats. MP3 players are a great companion to keep you motivated when your body is working hard.
We hope our list and buying guide helped you to figure out the finer details by clarifying some queries and misconceptions. Are you ready to let a waterproof MP3 player join you for the pool next time?
We would love to know which MP3 player caught your attention or if you feel any other waterproof option should have featured on this list. Please share your comments below.