Dogs are one of the most loving and caring creatures on the planet, hence their nickname “man’s best friend”. Just the mere thought of a dog being in some sort of pain can make any dog-lover fret with worry.
Dogs are sensitive to loud noises. You would have noticed your furry friends getting edgy at the sound of airplanes, fireworks, thunder, or house noises like a vacuum, lawnmower, and blasting speakers. This can damage their hearing as they age.
Many dog owners now understand this fact and don’t mind going overboard to ensure their beloved pet’s ears are protected and they stay healthy for a long time. That’s where noise-reducing ear muffs for dogs come into the picture!
Are there really earmuffs for dogs?
As the case with humans, loud noises of different kinds can damage a dog’s hearing. Whether they are hunting hounds or stay-at-home pups, it is essential to protect their hearing as noise pollution can cause incredible pain and frustration to your dog.
To address this discomfort, a small industry of noise-reduction wearables, designed specifically for dogs has mushroomed. These products protect your dear pet from the anxiousness and pain caused by exposure to loud noise.
Wondering what these products are? Let’s take a look at 4 of the most popular ear protectors made specifically for our canine buddies.
P.S. If you feel the noise is loud, wanting you to cover your ears – it’s probably an indication that your dog needs respite too. Give them the hearing protection they deserve with one of the following muffs made for dogs.
Top 4 PICKS of earmuffs for dogs
Fear of loud noises is common in dogs. Shield your dogs against intense/abnormal reactions with these go-to products that protect hearing and reduce irritant noises.
1. Mutt Muffs DDR337 Hearing Protection for Dogs
Why we picked it – A most popular choice with many precise sizing options
Prolonged exposure to noise is the biggest contributor to deafness in humans and animals alike. Designed to provide the ultimate comfort for four-legged family members, Mutt Muffs come with wide foam-filled ear seals for maximum protection from noise.
Engineered to properly meet the curvature of a dog’s head, the estimated decibel reduction is between 21 and 24, assuming proper fit and a good seal against your pup’s head. These are suitable when your dog is accompanying you on an airboat or plane, at races, shooting range, and concerts.
P.S. Mutt Muffs are NOT noise eliminating. Your dog will still be able to hear, just not as loudly.
- Over-the-head hearing design
- Material – Plastic
- Available in different size fits – XS, S, M, L, XL
- The muffs come in 4 color variants – Black, Blue, Pink and Red
- Training dogs to wear the Mutt Muffs – It is recommended to put on the Mutt Muffs in a loud environment. Most dogs will knock them off within a few minutes because they don’t understand its use and find it awkward. After a couple of attempts, they would realize it’s for their own comfort by drowning out loud noises.
- Comfortable and Lightweight
- Adjustable straps for optimum fit
- As the frequency goes up, so does the effectiveness of Mutt Muffs, simply because the higher the frequency, the more easily it is absorbed
- It won’t reduce the canine’s anxiety owing to thunderstorms and fireworks
- Overpriced (for the flimsy and cheap Velcro straps)
2. PAWNIX Noise Cancelling Headsets for Dogs
Why we picked it – The best you can get in Active Noise Cancelling for Dogs
Tune out the world with one of the best noise-canceling technology specifically created for dogs with PAWNIX. These are composed of an effective ANC chipset that provides noise reduction up to 30 decibels. It takes any loud noise and reduces the volume. These are heavy-duty, long-lasting, and made from 4-way stretch fabric for easy wearing.
You can even connect the PAWNIX headset with Bluetooth and treat pups to calming dog music to reduce their anxiety. If the headset is not paired with anything for music, the Noise Cancelling Technology will still be on, and still be at 100%.
- Stable Bluetooth 5.0 wireless connection with any smartphone or tablet
- Supports Active Noise Cancellation. The headsets is for music only, no calls
- Supported audio formats – SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX Low Latency
- Has a USB-C charging port
- 30 hours battery life
- IP64 rated for dust and water resistance
- Suitable for hand wash
- FCC certified
- Available in 4 color variants – Grey, Blue, Red and Pink
- Works against extremely loud thunderstorms and fireworks
- Blocks out approximately 90% ambient sounds
- Indicates battery charging status
- Provides swaddling comfort due to Antimicrobial/Wicking Fabric
- The foam guards against bone conduction
- Costly affair
- Has shipping limitations in certain countries with expensive shipping charges
3. Noise Reduction K-9 Ear Muffs – 4 Paws Aviation
Why we picked it – Good design features that make these dog headsets comfortable
4 Paws Aviation, operating out of Indiana in the USA, has been in the business of high-quality hearing protection for dogs for over 7 years. Their products use the exact same FAA-approved premium aircraft sound reduction foam that is used in aviation headsets for human use.
K-9 ear muffs offer superior hearing protection, thanks to the comfortable gel cup that adapts to the contour of any dog’s head with adjustable buckle straps. The soft material provides a noise-reducing seal by snugly fitting around your canine’s ears. These are touted to be ideal for personal, medical, and aviation use.
P.S. Certain test results from a renowned audiologist show K-9 ear muffs to provide better noise reduction as compared to the Mutt Muffs product.
Price : S – $75, M – $80, L – $85
- Over-the-head hearing design
- Material – Plastic
- Available in 3 sizes
- S – 5 – 25 lbs, head circumference 7” – 13“
- M – 25 – 75 lbs, head circumference 13” – 19”
- L – 75 lbs and up, head circumference 19” +
- The muffs come in 4 color variants – Black, White, Pink and Desert Tan
- External attachment points for maximum comfort
- Webbing rather than Velcro maintains consistency and does not catch in pets hair
- Made from non-toxic material
- “Break a way” clip for chin strap provides safety and prevents choking
- Not 100% noise free
- Might come off ears in case of rigorous shaking by dogs
4. The Original Happy Hoodie for Dogs
Why we picked it – Multi-purpose, affordable option if noise reduction is not the only target
If you are not looking for any heavy-duty noise protection, but instead want something more comforting and suitable for everyday use, then Happy Hoodie is the right pick for your pet dog. While they don’t advertise noise reduction as the main selling point, the swaddling compression of the hoodie reduces noise and calms the canine considerably.
On the market for over 4 years and used by thousands, Happy Hoodie is proven and praised by groomers and homeowners alike for the great difference it makes. It saves valuable time by skipping frustration in a grooming session. Upset, disagreeable, or sensitive dogs become calm and composed for seemingly irritating things like toenail clipping, clipper work, brushing, force drying, etc
- Calming effect for dogs at home – Protection against fireworks, thunder, vacuum, car rides, and vet examination
- Safe to wash and dry
- The package contains one large and one small Hoodie to accommodate most dog breeds. Large size fits most dog breeds, from extra-large breeds such as a Mastiff to Medium-sized breeds such as a Schnauzer, Cocker, Shih Tzu etc. S- size fits small sized and toy breed dogs and cats.
- Requires little time, effort, and cost to use
- Long-lasting and fully washable
- Tends to get pulled easily, so one needs to be careful with grooming tools
- Limited size options might pose a challenge for a few of the dog breeds
Earmuffs for Dogs: FAQs and Buying Guide
Can dogs hear a loud noise?
Humans can hear sounds between 20-20,000 Hz. Dogs on the other hand can hear noises twice as high, even up to 55,000 Hz. This can be a reason behind the sensory overload your dogs might experience, every time you blast up the stereo sound or when they are exposed to fire engine/ambulance sirens, noise from machine tools, or construction.
Apart from higher pitch sounds, dogs can also hear much quieter volumes as they hear a much larger range of frequencies.
What are the most disliked noises by dogs?
Dogs get scared/irritated with noise from thunderstorms, crackers, gun shots, vacuum cleaners, alarms, sirens, jet planes, construction noises and even crying babies.
Can dogs suffer permanent damage or hearing loss due to noise?
Yes, just like humans, dogs can suffer damage to eardrums and even permanent hearing loss if exposed to sharp loud noises frequently.
The ears of canine are very sensitive and if the source of sound (for instance gunshot, explosion, crackers, etc.) is too close to a dog, it can rupture their eardrum or inner ear. Additionally, this exposure can also lead to different types of ear infections too.
What to look for when buying ear muffs or hearing protection for dogs?
When you set out to buy hearing protection for dogs, make sure you consider these points to help your pooch effectively:
- Purpose or Use of Protection Aids – The material of dog accessories will differ basis the end use to be served. Is it for swimming/keeping water out? Is it to protect against wind/cold? Or Is it to protect against prolonged loud noises? Once this is clear, your shopping page results will vary drastically.
- Size and Fit – You don’t want the aid to keep dangling or being too fit on the ears of your pet dog. Make sure you select the correct size basis dogs’ weight and head circumference by referring the size guide (S, M, L & XL). Look for adjustable straps and customer reviews about comfort for the shortlisted muffs.
- Material – Ear protection for dogs can be made from a variety of materials. For example, hearing protection earmuffs are made from noise-reducing foam, while dog snoods are made from stretchy fabrics like nylon.
- Price – While there may be many pet supplies that make the cut and appeal to you, it may also boil down to the price tag. Pick what suits your purpose and budget.
What are some preventive steps to protect dogs’ hearing?
While hearing protection aids are a very useful investment for any pet owner, one must consider other factors too for ensuring the healthy ears of one’s beloved hounds.
- Prevent your dogs’ exposure to sharp, prolonged, and unexpected noises
- Avoid exposing them to loud bands, concerts, or street fairs
- Keep in check your pets’ exposure to hearing loss inducers like fireworks, explosives, horns, sirens, vehicle engines, gunfire, etc.
- Don’t confuse them with two sound sources (like TV and Music stereo playing at the same time). This stresses their nervous system, trying to absorb both sounds
- Have the dog’s ears tested and cleaned regularly by the family veterinarian
- Provide nutritious meals and snacks for the overall good health of your dog
The earmuffs for dogs will aid in keeping a lot of their noise troubles at bay, relieving both you and your pet from unwarranted panic. Investing in a good pair of these noise-reducing earmuffs will be one of the most valued dogs treat ever.
Have you used any of these earmuffs for your dog? If yes, please let us know which one does the trick for protecting your pet’s ears?
If there are any other dog earmuffs that you recommend, please let us know in the comments below.
We hope this round-up of the best dog ear muffs and buying guide was informative and helpful to you as a proud dog owner. Share it with your fellow “dog lover” friends.
Spread the paw-er!