It’s a known fact that a wide majority of people prefer to use earbuds inserted in their ears, as it lends depth and quality to the sound. However, is it the safest option in the long run? Probably not. That’s where the clip-on headphones make a royal entry. This niche category of headphones bid “less to no” chances of infection, soreness, or treble spikes.
Clip-on Headphones with their lightweight and slim frame offer a practical and worry-free solution to listening to music even while running or exercising. Their unique design features hooks that fit over the ears and connect to your music device via Bluetooth or an audio jack.
The primary feature of these headphones is considered to be their ability to cling to the user’s ears while they are performing active pursuits like exercising, playing sports, jogging, etc.
There are many advantages to using clip-on headphones. Summarizing a few, for your quick consideration that might compel you to buy them:
- They are portable. Most of them are travel friendly due to their small ear cup size and ease of storage
- They are ideal for outdoor workouts where you might want to allow some external audio to be available for personal safety (e.g. like a busy street with vehicles)
- On-ear clip-on headphones bestow protection to the user from different kinds of gory bacteria that might enter the ear canal and lead to infections.
- They don’t heat up like over-ear headphones
- These type of headphones have larger drivers than earbuds, meaning that in the same price range, you can enjoy a wider range of audio frequencies
- One can enjoy the harmless, comfortable, and soothing listening experience
- They stay put on users’ ears even when you are engaged in vigorous active movements
While the debate amongst in-ear vs. on-ear (clip-on) vs. over-ear headphones seems to be never-ending, our article will surely make you tilt towards clip-on headphones for several reasons.
To ensure that this choice is faster and smarter, we pick the most promising contenders in this category for you to bypass the clutter. Here we go with the reviews. So dig in or should we say tune in!
1. Levin Bluetooth 4.1 Neckband Headphones
It’s’ on the list because: As you opt for these clip-on headphones, you can get almost twelve hours of battery for the day without any disconnects. They are recognized to be lighter in weight which provides optimum comfort.
This product is loved by people due to the in-built mic by which it is possible to easily answer or reject calls. In addition to this, it allows you to gain control over the music options easily.
The design eliminates troublesome wires tangling around when running, jogging, or working out, never falling out of your ears even when rushing or jumping. This makes it a winner with gym users.
Overall the Levin clip-on headphones have received excellent feedback from their customers not just because of their beautiful design, which we have to admit really is incredible, but mostly due to their specs. The headphones have a great sound quality, have a stable connection and most importantly they are comfortable and lightweight.
- Advanced Bluetooth chipset for faster transmission and low latency
- Wireless range up to 10m(33ft)
- Compatible with all kinds of Smartphone tablets and more
- Hi-Fi stereo quality delivers you crystal clear stereo sound.
- New and improved lithium polymer battery allows continuous enjoyment of music for up to 12 playtime/ 13.5 talk time with a quick charge of only 2.5 hours
- Comes with a USB charging cable, travel case, and user manual.
- The product has a 12-month hassle-free satisfaction warranty which means a totally risk-free purchase.
- You can enjoy skip-free phone call and music
- Lightweight and sweatproof
- On-board buttons allow the ease of answering calls, skipping songs, and adjusting the volume
- The mic works well for phone calls, text, or conversation with Siri or other voice assistants
- Portable with a small convenient case to carry along your travel sojourns
- The noise-canceling is not great and hence listening to podcasts/audiobooks while working out might not be feasible
- Beeping sound every time you change the volume can be a minor annoyance
2. Treblab XR700
It’s’ on the list because: It is the ultimate cordless edition from Treblab that promises great quality HD sound in the Bluetooth headphones segment. They are one of the most relied on wireless clip-on headsets for sports, gym, and on-the-go activities.
Whether you are a pro or just started running/gymming, you would appreciate the headphone’s resistance to sweat and water. Passive noise-canceling earbuds let you focus by blocking the outside noise. And swift connectivity to Bluetooth devices (in less than 5 seconds) would please all audiophiles out there!
They have soft clips that fit right around your ear. They have this sport look to them if you’re planning to use them for the gym or running, they will do just right. They also have a built-in mic if you need to answer calls while running, you will be pleased with the quality they provide.
- Latest Bluetooth 5.0 technology
- Crisp treble and strong bass
- 4 color variants – Black, Blue, Purple, Orange
- Lifetime warranty
- Waterproof and Sweatproof
- Built-in microphone for talking on the phone, taking calls, or using the voice-activated prompts.
- Signal range of up to 33ft
- CD-like music quality as compared to other Bluetooth headphones
- Fits on the ear even with glasses and is comfortable for extended use
- A powerful battery that lasts a minimum of 9 hours after a single charge of 2 hours. Plus battery charge levels are indicated on the device
- Extra comfort, anti-slip thanks to XDrop ear-hooks
- Noise cancellation works
- Little bulky for users who use helmet/hats while using headphones
- Ear-loops are slightly large and are not adjustable to suit your active pursuits
3. Creative Aurvana Air – Sweat Resistant Wired Clip-On Earphones
Its’ on the list because: This offering by Creative Labs, has quickly climbed the ladder of clip-on devices and claimed the top spot for several amazing reasons. Ergonomic design and exceptional audio quality with EaseFit ear-hook design give a secure listening experience. The product combines aesthetics and comfort like no other.
It has been identified as one of the front runners for on-the-go music time while performing different sports and exercises. This is complemented by supreme nickel-titanium finishing in champagne-gold for that effortless upmarket sophistication.
If you are an active person or are planning to become one, this is a great pick. They bring maximum comfort and they also bring this premium look to the table and most importantly they are comfortable beyond. Easy to wear, lightweight, and fits perfectly.
Comfort and everything are great, but you’re probably wondering how do they sound? We have to admit the bass could be a little better, if you’re into rap, you might notice a difference. It’s still there, don’t get us wrong, but it didn’t deliver on the level we expected them to. They are gorgeous headphones with a premium look that will do the job.
- Wired connection with frequency response from 20Hz to 20KHz
- Powered by Neodymium magnet drivers with ultra-slim high-performance diaphragms, which make it a true acoustic powerhouse
- Superior thermoplastic elastomer coated cabling to prevent tangling
- EaseFit ear-hook design caters to different ear sizes and adheres securely to the listener
- Robust nickel finishing prevents corrosion from perspiration/grime
- Integrated Cable fit slider offers neat cable management
- Lightweight and intuitive design makes it easy to wear for extended use
- Easy cable management
- It is truly portable and easy to store/carry in the accompanying compact leather pouch
- Ideal for all active pursuits as they are sweat-proof and moisture-proof
- They are pricey for the available sound quality
- Noise isolation could have been better
4. Otium Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
It’s’ on the list because: This headset ranks high on the “Value for money” game and balances comfort with sound quality. They are ideal for running/gymming with their lightweight and portable build. Otium’s ear hooks are made of high-quality rubber material, which perfectly matches the curve of the human ear, ensuring a secure and comfortable fit even during vigorous exercising.
One Button Control allows Skip/Play/Pause on your music tracks as well as all phone use without reaching your phone.
The most important question what’s the sound quality of these? The bass is on fire with these ones. It will boost your energy and keep you motived while running or working out. The sound isolation is on point and the surrounding noises won’t be a distraction.
If you’re going for budget headphones to do your workout these are a great pick. They sit perfectly in your ear no matter how actively you’re moving, jumping around. They are sweatproof, if you’re worried about sweat – don’t be, it won’t affect functionality. If you value sound quality you don’t be disappointed.
- Integrated Hands-free call and audio controls
- Wireless up to 33 feet with true HD Beats High Fidelity sound
- Built-in microphone and Bluetooth 4.1 CSR chipset technology
- Lower power consumption
- Silicone ear hooks with ergonomic design
- CVC 6.0 Noise Suppression Technology to reduce background noise
- 1-year Manufacturer’s warranty and 60 days money-back & return policy
- Above-average sound quality for the bucks spent
- High on comfort and can coexist with glasses
- Impressive battery life with up to 9 hours of music on a single charge of 1.5 hours
- Sweatproof and IPX7 waterproof
- Faster and stable signal transmission
- The ear loops don’t offer manual adjustment
- Basic mic with limited noise cancellation
5. Audio-Technica ATH-EQ300M
It’s’ on the list because: These headphones also come from a brand that places high importance on quality audio products. Audio-Technica headphones have a quality that is ably accentuated with the stylish design making them an aesthetic delight in the “on-ear” range of headphones.
It is made for uninterrupted music sessions during high physical activity routines liking running, gymming, cycling, and so on. If you have trouble wearing standard stereo headphones and/or the puffy earbuds, invest in these.
Audio-Technica is a well known brand and it’s very well known for it’s quality, especially sound quality, and this specific model has it and they are also very comfortable and lightweight and they don’t let you down
- Large diameter 28mm driver with 1.2 m cord
- Weighs 0.7 ounces
- The housing unit achieves thinness (sleeves, except ear hanger part) of 8.5mm
- Comfortable fit in the super-type mortar and plastic clip-on
- Bang for your buck with its affordable price
- Great sound quality as compared to other headphones in this price range
- Aesthetically pleasing design
- Light and thin for comfortable extended use
- The sound leak might be experienced on some occasions (a common trait among over-ear headphones)
- Highs can be a bit shrill
6. Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones
It’s’ on the list because These on-ear clip-on headphones provide a great sound experience, in comparison to the other expensive ones available in the market. They are known to latch onto the ear of the user perfectly, without shifting even when you are in motion.
These classify as multi-compatibility headphones and work fine with any Smartphone, Tablet, PC, Laptop, Studio Equipment, DJ Equipment, Portable DVD player, radio, and any other device, with a 3.5mm plug. Koss KSC75 is just right for use at school, work, home, and on-the-go travel.
Koss KSC75 headphones are well known and have great feedback from active users especially sports fans. They are wired and you won’t need to worry about batteries or charging or anything.
They are well-balanced clip-on headphones and they play music very well. For the price – the sound is great.
- Wired connectivity
- Comfort fit with soft, pivoting ear clips
- Cord measures four feet long; L-shaped 3.5 mm plug
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Frequency response – 15hz–25khz
- Replaceable soft foam cushion
- Deep Bass experience, thanks to the neodymium iron boron magnets
- No sound distortion owing to the titanium-coated drivers
- The contouring of the headphones allow them to sit comfortably without cutting into the skin
- Durable quality
- Lightweight and portable
- Sound quality dwindles over one year of use
- Wires at jack connection tend to break if not used with caution
7. Philips Ear clip Headphones SHS3300BK
It’s’ on the list because: They come at a great price and are one of the best ear clip headphones that are designed for comfort, stability, and performance. They offer a powerful and crisp sound for a great listening experience.
They are a wonderful choice for casual listeners who want to use them for leisure music, podcasts, or while watching videos.
These again are budget clip-on headphones and the sound quality they bring to the tablet is exceptional. They are perfectly balanced and are great for outdoor use. No matter what you are doing, working out in the gym, going for a run, or just relaxing in your bed they will fit in your ear and bring the sound quality you expect from Philips.
- Wired connection with 1. 2m long cable that is ideal for outdoor use
- 27mm speaker driver delivers big sound performance
- Neodymium magnets enhance bass performance and sensitivity
- Extra base with bass beat vents that allow air movement for better sound
- Ear cushions improve wearing comfort
- Asymmetric cable keeps the cable out of the way
- Doesn’t hurt/bother ears on wearing
- Not very durable for rough wear and tear
- Wiring is fragile near the audio jack which tends to break
8. Sony MDR-Q55SL
It’s’ on the list because: These clip-on headphones are recognized to be the perfect blend of a trendy look and advanced technology. If you prefer to have the heart-pounding bass of Rock and Hip Hop, these headphones have gained high popularity for breathing life into your favorite songs.
They balance exceptional performance without compromising on the style quotient. Notably, the Neodymium magnets of these headphones provide maximum energy with minimal size.
We all know Sony has made its name when it comes to headphones and for people that buy clip-on headphones – Sony MDR-Q55SL has been a good choice, they received nothing but good feedback. They deal great with outside noises, the noise-canceling is on point. They are made of fabric-like material which makes them more durable. The bass on these headphones is exceptional. The bass is on point, are you enjoy hip hop, these would be great for that purpose.
- These headphones boast a neodymium magnet and 30-mm driver which offers a clean sound along with reduced distortion
- These clip-on headphones with their turning adjustment feature, offer spring action earpiece which can fit ears of different sizes
- Owing to open-air design, these dynamic headphones are known to be headband free and let you stay aware of outside sounds
- These headphones come with a turbo duct of large size which provides deep and more powerful bass.
- Every unit present in this product has an adjustable cord, gold plated mini plug, and tangle-free cord slider.
- Impeccable bass presence
- Clear midrange and treble
- Band free ear-clip design offers comfort
- A hassle-free braided cord that comes with an extension
- Provides snug fit which reduces sound leakage and produces good quality audio.
- No carrying case and no replacement earpiece pads
- The extension cord is a bit bulky and not convenient to carry or store
9. Panasonic- Rp-hs46e-k Slim Clip-On Earphone
It’s’ on the list because Ultra-Compact compared to many clip earphones, these headphones stand second to none in offering top-notch sound quality. They are perfect companions to listen to songs, podcasts, audiobooks, watch movies, or videos.
This clip-on earphone is considered to be ultra-compact and the best choice as “Headphones for Sleeping” as one can barely feel them between ears and pillow. For the price, they are hard to beat.
They are water-resistant which makes them a good pick if you’re planning to get them for sports purposes. They will not only handle your workouts, but they will also boost your workouts. They are wired and you won’t need to worry about batteries.
- Wired connection with a durable cable
- Extremely Slim Housing, with a 30mm Driver Unit that offers powerful sound for your heavy beats
- Feature ear hooks of ergonomic design that hold comfortably, and securely
- Extremely lightweight at 0.5 ounces only
- Super attractive price
- Light and thin frame with easy to slip the hinge design
- Remarkable sound quality for the price paid
- The impressive battery life of nearly 9 hours
- Comfortable and stylish with a deluxe high gloss finish
- Good fit with glasses and helmets
- Can leak out sound as they press lightly against your ears
- Foam ear-pads can come off easily
10. JVC HAEB75BA Clip Style Headphone
It’s’ on the list because: It comes from a brand house that is known for making path-breaking audio and video equipment. Don’t be fooled by the traditional looks, these powerful clip-on headphones pack quite a punch in terms of price, sound, and comfort.
They are proving to be a nice go-to option for people with an active lifestyle owing to their surprisingly good sound and secure fit that effortlessly holds them in place.
JVC is a big name. Well-known brand. And they produce great quality headphones and these ones are no different. They bring secure fit, good bass, and great sound quality. You can control your music right from the headphones – play, pause, next/previous, etc. Considering the price, which is budget pricing – they bring high value to the users.
- Wired connection with frequency response from 16Hz to 20KHz
- Powerful 13.5 mm Neodymium driver
- Adjustable clip for 5 selectable positions for a secure fit
- Sweat and Splash proof with 3.94 ft cord
- Bass boosting earpieces
- 8 color variations – Blue, Green, Pink, Orange, Red, Silver, Black, White
- Sweat and splash-proof feature makes them ideal for sports and exercise
- Includes cord clip prevents cord swing and eliminates friction noise
- Extremely lightweight and comfortable, weighing at 0.3 ounces only
- Great value for the price
- Performs decently on all audio ranges, especially the bottom notes
- A minute gap between rubber clip and plastic earbud might look worrisome
- Noise isolation could have been better
How to choose the best clip-on headphones?
If you are in the market – physical or virtual, to select clip-on headphones, it will be worthwhile to consider these parameters before zeroing down on the final one.
The price of the product is something that you probably consider first and foremost. Key buzzwords related to cost include value for money, economical and pocket-friendly. Expensive and fancy-looking clip-one might be good to look at but not great to use. Hence tread wisely!
The sound quality of headphones is the prime factor for shortlisting good ones. Make sure the clip-on versions have crisp and smooth sounds for a great listening experience. For uncompromised sound quality, it should have:
- Sensitivity – Sound which is as loud as 102 dB is considered to be ideal or high for earphones to deliver quality performance
- Size of Drivers – Larger the driver size, the better the sound, particularly low-frequency bass range.
- Impedance – An impedance rating of 30 ohms is considered decent for the clip-on headphones to get a wider range of volume selection
These products are available in various designs and build. Choose a clip-on headphone that features an ergonomic design, with strain-free clips and a soft cushioned headset to fit comfortably in your ears.
Your lifestyle and the nature of work you do are another crucial factor determining your purchasing decision.
- If you are an action-oriented, sporty, or gym lover – It is recommended to opt for waterproof and sweatproof headphones.
- If headphones are just another accessory for you – it doesn’t matter if high-end tech specs are there or not
- If you use them at the workplace – It might be wise to opt for active noise-canceling headphones that drown out the external sounds
- If you are a sportsperson/runner – You may want to opt for clip-on that promise wide-range swift Bluetooth connectivity and don’t fall off from ears
The last word
Clip-on headphones walk the line between traditional earphones and active earbuds, offering something for everyone. We hope the narrowed choices helped you to clear some clouds of doubt and made the process of finalizing the best clip-on headphone a little bit easier.
Have we missed any good clip-on headphones from our list? OR Which clip-on headphones would you pick for yourself?
Leave a comment below to share your views. Thanks for reading!